This January, we must be aware.
Let us be aware that the unemployment rate in Chicago is 9 percent, one of the worst in the United States, and the unemployment rate in the African-American community in Illinois is 16 percent. Over half of recent college graduates remain unemployed. Let us be aware that the poverty rate for women in Illinois is nearly 16 percent and that one in six Americans live in poverty.
Let us be aware that the implications of these numbers mean that seniors have to choose which of the life saving medications they need they can actually afford to take, and that the children who most need services are being shuffled to different schools while the city cuts vital curricular and extracurricular programs. But, we cannot be still in that awareness. The scales must fall from our eyes and we must call others to shake the scales from theirs. Then, we must act on the truths we know from our own experiences and from the resources the USCCB shares this month to recognize the poverty and oppression that defines so much of our lives. – Read entire blogpost here
Take action this January!
- Join Organizing Catholics for Justice
- Take action with the Catholic Community in the Archdiocese of Chicago to end poverty.
- Donate to the Catholic Campaign for Human Development
- Invest in other organizations that are acting to end poverty across Chicago and the state of Illinois
- Invite a Speaker to your parish!
- Contact Maria Fitzsimmons at email@example.com if you would like to have a speaker come to your parish and talk more about social justice in connection to Poverty Awareness Month and Organizing Catholics for Justice
- Poverty Awareness Month: Activity Calendar
- For Poverty Awareness Month in January, use this new calendar with daily suggestions for reflection, learning and action about poverty. Re-post the daily Twitter-length suggestions on social media to help get the word out about poverty and its root causes. Access the calendar.
- Poverty Presentation Support
- Download images, facts, and figures for use in presentations. Browse downloads.
- Education Center
- Explore educational materials for teaching children, young adults and adults about poverty. Browse materials.
- News and Articles
- Recent news and articles about Poverty in the USA. Read more.
- Poverty Quiz
- Test your poverty knowledge with our Poverty Quiz. Take the Quiz.
- Poverty Awareness Calendar
- Lesson Plan: Root Causes of Poverty
- Poverty USA Quiz
- Lesson Plan: Taking Action
- Letter To Pastors
- Videos and Podcasts
- January 18/19 Bulletin Insert (English)
- January 18/19 Bulletin Insert (Spanish)
- January 25/26 Bulletin Insert (English)
- January 25/26 Bulletin Insert (Spanish)