CRS Rice Bowl Grants
Applications due Friday, April 1, 2016
CRS Rice Bowl is the official Lenten program of Catholic Relief Services. It was created in 1975 with the goal of entering into solidarity with our brothers and sisters overseas through prayer, fasting, learning, and giving. Many parishes in the Archdiocese of Chicago participate in CRS Rice Bowl and through their generosity and support, help to fund CRS in their global initiatives. 75% of CRS Rice Bowl donations supports CRS development projects throughout the world; while 25% of CRS Rice Bowl funds local programs and initiatives that animate the values of CRS within the Archdiocese of Chicago.
We primarily fund parishes and organizations that emulate the mission and vision of Catholic Relief Services on a local level. In addition to the international emergency aid that CRS provides, CRS also has numerous initiatives that promote long-term solutions to poverty and hunger overseas, such as projects focused on restorative justice, agricultural development, micro-lending, Fair Trade enterprises, and hunger prevention initiatives.
- Restorative Justice: training, advocacy, other related initiatives
- Agricultural development: community gardens, community owned farmer's markets
- Fair Trade: advocacy/outreach, small businesses
- Direct Service Assistance: food pantries, soup kitchens, homeless shelters
- Hunger Education and Advocacy
- Nutrition Education
- Other (please specify on application)
Grant amount: $1,000 to $3,000
Grant period: One (1) year
Eligibility: Up to 5 years. After 5 years of funding, organizations are asked to take a one-year break to allow for more organizations and parishes to receive funding.
Project location: Cook and Lake Counties
Please submit your application through the Online Application Form below. To prepare application answers before submitting, you may download the Word Document format of the application and then copy and paste your answers into the online form. All attachments should be submitted through the DropBox folder accessed at "Upload Application Attachments" button below.
- 501(c)(3) Determination Letter from IRS (or proof of filing Form 1023)—if available
- Form 990
- Budget Form (download above)
- Leadership/board member profiles (download above)
- Any brochures, articles, and annual reports of the project--if available
- Several (at least 5) high-resolution photos of the project
Please contact Bethany Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.