The “On Second Thought” Rice Bowl campaign asks you to think twice about the simple ways you can help end hunger and grow in solidarity with our brothers and sisters around the world. Having second thoughts means making small sacrifices and putting the change you save in your Rice Bowl instead. Join us as we think twice and end hunger in our community and around the world! What are your Second Thoughts? Share them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Google Plus with #OnSecondThought
Sign up for our email updates for weekly reflections and recipes!
What is CRS Rice Bowl?
CRS Rice Bowl is Catholic Relief Services’ Lenten faith-in-action program for parishes, schools and families. Participating Catholics fast, pray, and give during Lent, following Jesus’ call to live in solidarity with the poorest and most vulnerable.
CRS Rice Bowl Assists with:
- Prayer – Using the CRS Rice Bowl materials, participants pray and reflect on the realities, challenges, and gifts of the poor around the world.
- Fasting – CRS Rice Bowl’s recipes for simple meals and fasting suggestions help participants use this traditional Lenten practice to express solidarity with their brothers and sisters overseas.
- Learning – Through educational resources and activities incorporating stories and photos from Catholic Relief Services’ work overseas, CRS Rice Bowl participants learn about the lives of neighbors they may never meet.
- Giving – Participants put their faith into action by giving of their time and resources in a thoughtful manner. Since 1975, CRS Rice Bowl participants have raised more than $111 million.
- Development – CRS Rice Bowl funds support Catholic Relief Services’ development projects overseas. These projects help individuals and communities use their own potential and capacity to improve their lives. By contributing to CRS Rice Bowl, participants give more than money: contributions help provide the resources and training that empower communities to create sustainable change.
Where does the money go?
CRS Rice Bowl supports hunger and poverty alleviation efforts in communities around the world, as well as in our local community. 65% of your gift supports CRS’ programs around the world. The remaining 35% stay here in the Archdiocese of Chicago, supporting food pantires, nutrition education, and more.
- Prayerful reflection for each day of Lent
- Customizable tool to set Lenten sacrifice goal and track progress towards its achievement
- Meatless recipes for Fridays during Lent
- Stories and videos of people who benefit from prayers and almsgiving to CRS Rice Bowl
- Download from the Apple App Store
- Download from the Google Play Store